Retelling important events is essential in reading comprehension from kindergarten. As students progress to advanced grades, they need to be able to identify different important plot points including: the initial conflict, climax, and resolution.
An engaging way to do this is through the incorporation of iPads. During our Hatchet unit students combined multiple apps, app smashing, to create a final product. Some students that don’t always do well with cold-reads and standardized testing, excel in project creation. All students have gifts and the use of technology allows those gifts to shine.
In this project students were required to:
- Identify the 7 most important events.
- Explain why each event is important.
- Identify the climax of the novel.
- Students could then illustrate the event using Drawing Pad
- Finally, students could use Explain Everything to explain the most important event in the novel.